27 Prevention Points: Servicing in Marion, Mount Gilead, Delaware, OH and Surrounding Areas
27 Prevention Points to secure your property Provided by D/J Bug Away, LLC
These 27 Prevention Points in conjunction only with a D/J Bug Away Perimeter treatment will help prevent unwanted pests.
Outside a Structure
- Have a D/J Bug Away Perimeter treatment. A perimeter treatment is a liquid application that is applied to
foundation, entryways, windows, exterior lighting a soffit 25 feet high and under. This barrier helps keep over 100 species of pests from living in and around your home/structure. Exterior stays cleaner with minimal cobwebs.
- Entry doors should close tightly. Door sweeps and rubber trim should be replaced at least twice yearly for primary entry doors.
- Seal holes around conduits and piping entering a structure.
- Repair any cracks in exterior walls, especially as these contact soil.
- Windows and doors used for ventilation should be properly screened.
- Seal existing spaces around soffits and gable vents.
- Check and clean gutters and downspout drains to ensure they are functioning properly. Water should run at
least 6 feet away from foundation.
- Items stored outside for indefinite periods should be placed on racks elevated at least 12 inches above the
- Install lights on poles away from the structure so they illuminate doors and steps, but do not attract insects
from the building.
- Keep exterior garage cans closed when not in use
- Place garage cans at least 25 feet away from entry doors.
- Firewood should be placed at least 8” from the ground to prevent rodent activity.
- Make sure there is no wood to ground combination to prevent termites and carpenter ants
- Garage seals need to be checked and replaced several times a year to prevent rodents from entering.
- Any landscaping (even with mulch) should be away from the foundation of the home, unless mulch is treated for
- Bushes and tree limbs should be 12” away from the structure.
Inside the structure
- Keep equipment, floors, and counters free of grease and other food particles.
- Clean up food spills promptly.
- Regularly clean floor mats in kitchen and dishwashing areas
- Use trash can liners when collecting food-containing garbage.
- Drain waste liquid food residues of excess moisture before discarding.
- Repair or replace leaking or dripping faucets
- Seals holes around conduits, plumbing, and other items that penetrate walls,
floor, or ceilings.
- Provide space under and around appliances for ventilation and cleaning.
- Seal all permanently installed furniture and counter stops at points of attachment. Leave no gaps for pest harborage.
- If you live in a modular or manufactured home, they may have plastic plumbing. Rodents chew more
frequently on this.
- Eliminate all moisture places.